December 6, 2011 by dailybolusoflr
Administration of IV calcium is used as a treatment for hyperkalemia as well as when needed for urgent replacement of hypocalcemia and in calcium channel blocker overdose. Dosage should be based on the amount of elemental calcium needed, which is different by formulation used.
* 1 “ampule” of 10% IV solution; 1g of calcium chloride in 10cc
* Contains 13.5 mEq of elemental calcium in 10cc
* Should not be given in a peripheral line
* 1 “ampule” of 10% IV solution; 1g of calcium gluconate per 10cc
* Contains 4.5 mEq of elemental calcium in 10cc
* Can be administered either in peripheral or central line