December 1, 2011 by dailybolusoflr
Complications of Polycystic Kidney Disease
· Pain is the most common symptom. Things to consider are hemorrhage (minor and major), rupture, stones, UTIs, and simply pain associated with stretching of the tissue related to growth of the cysts.
· Liver cysts: don’t cause liver failure/dysfunction but can lead to pain related to hemorrhage, infection or rupture
· Intracranial aneurysms affect about 5-6% of all patients with PCKD and up to 15% of those with a family history of aneurysms
· Increased prevalence of colonic diverticula
· Up to 25 % of patients have mitral valve prolapse